Saturday, April 12, 2014

DD-WRT on ASUS RT-AC66U

I've had the ASUS router for a little over a year now and love it.  It has been one of the best routers in terms of range, speed, quality of connection (no drops) and ease of management (the firmware).  However, I wanted to dig into it a little more and try a few things out (cause I'm a geek).  But the firmware could did not have any advanced features.  So I started looking into DD-WRT and much to my surprise the RT-AC66U was supported by DD-WRT. Awesome!

Turns out there were many options for me.  After some digging I found out that ASUS' firmware was based on Tomato, a sister/cousin of DD-WRT.  ASUS had put a lot of effort into making it very friendly and pretty, but underneath was Tomato.  The other thing that I found out was that ASUS had made it VERY easy to switch back to stock firmware.

I found Merlin's Asuswrt-Merlin which is based on ASUS' code.  He's even contributed back to ASUS with bug fixes and new features.  I tried Merlin's version and I like it: very close to the beautiful ASUS UI, zero learning curve.  But in the end not enough features I was interested it.

In the end I chose DD-WRT because it had all of the features I would need PLUS SOME! Plenty of gurus and fanboys, and lot's of instructions already out there. I like to geek out but don't have time to reinvent the wheel.  Specifically, I chose Kong's releases since he seemed to be leading the charge with my model router.

The main blog I used to walk be through the installation was Victor's Blog.  I ended up switching back to stock firmware for a couple days because DD-WRT would not route WAN traffic.  Turns out step #8 was critical, you had to CLEAR NVRAM again.  The next time I tried it - and used the correct command - everything worked perfectly!

In the next few days, I'll post my configuration changes to work the way I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment